BE READY FOR BREXIT
GET IMPORT / EXPORT DOCUMENTATION
Currently, only UK businesses exporting to and importing from outside the EU need to complete customs declarations. At the end of the “transition period” on the 31 December 2020, the volume of customs declarations is expected to increase by almost 500%, to 255 million per year. As 50% of UK firms who export and import only trade with the EU at present, it is estimated that more than 200,000 businesses will need to complete customs declarations for the first time, and get to grips with tariff classification numbers, customs valuation, customs procedures and more.
In the context of a rapidly changing trade environment - Brexit, the resulting exponential growth in imports and exports, and the implementation of the new Customs Declaration Service (CDS, the replacement for CHIEF) - ChamberCustoms has been developed to provide quality of service, full assurance, and transparency of costs to traders.
Trained and ready
Qualifying as a certified customs broker requires many hours of intensive accredited training, adding up to weeks in total. Our dedicated ChamberCustoms service manager Ioanna Orfanidi is authorised to complete export and import declarations and has been fully trained to understand and correctly use the 98-chapter Trade Tariff, comprising thousands of unique classification code numbers, and over 420 customs procedure codes.
Three essential tips
- If you’re not going to outsource this, then create a dedicated compliance department within your organisation, to handle customs-related matters effectively. Many companies try to leave the compliance function to non-specialists (logistics, shipping or even finance!). A focussed specialist or team should enable you to avoid serious fines and disruptions, caused by non-compliance.
- Grab hold of the HMRC Customs Grant Scheme opportunity, for which the UK government recently announced an additional funding of £50 million. This scheme allows businesses to get a full refund for customs procedures training costs, up to £2,500 per trainee per training course. This is an enormous help offered for businesses to best prepare ahead of Brexit.
- Because customs and compliance work is so technically complex, I recommend businesses that are new to international trade (or who don't have long-term experience in compliance-related matters) should always seek advice from experts in order to avoid unnecessary costs and delays, and ensure their international transactions are processed smoothly.
From trusted trade specialists Chamber International, ChamberCustoms is a fully-managed customs declaration service for UK importers and exporters, and is available to both direct to businesses and through UK freight forwarders, ensuring that customs clearance is accurate, timely, and avoids additional costs through delays or errors.
With direct links to the HMRC Customs handling system and all inventory-linked ports, we can ensure that your goods, no matter where they enter or leave the UK, will be cleared for onward transportation smoothly.
- The highest level of compliance and assurance for exporters and importers
- Confidence on tariff and data entry to remove fiscal risk, backed by the technical expertise of Chamber International
- A wealth of international trade experience and expertise
Focus on YOUR BUSINESS
Get Chamber Customs discounted with YOUR CHAMBER
Ready to find out more?
If you would like further information or to discuss any queries, we are happy to answer them by email.
West & North Yorkshire Growth Deal has expired
The 75% Discount and One Month Free Membership offers are designed to help support small businesses start-up, recover and grow by providing essential business support services at a reduced rate for the first year.
The 75% Discount on Chamber Membership is funded by The Leeds City Region Growth Deal.
The One Month Free Membership (13months for the price of 12) is provided by West & North Yorkshire Chamber.
Terms & Conditions
This offer expired on 31 March 2021
The offer is open to businesses with fewer than 50 employees in the Leeds City region.
The business address must have a postcode in the BD, LS, HG or YO areas.
The offer applies to new memberships of West & North Yorkshire Chamber.
Full eligibility criteria and terms and condition available on request.
About the Chamber
The West & North Yorkshire Chamber are an accredited Chamber of Commerce, connecting, supporting and representing business in the region.